Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So Far, So Good, So Let's Drink More...A review of the Reviews

      I've been drinking beer for a long time and have been into craft beer since the early 2000's. But, it wasn't until a suggestion from the wife that I thought of expressing my enjoyment to others via a blog.
      I started in the beginning of March of this year, with my first review being Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot Ale Barley Wine. Since then I have reviewed an additional 129 brews of all types, some great, some good, and a few that weren't that good.
      I have had fun doing the reviews, as I hope those of you who have looked at them appreciated the content. I plan on continuing, with the future plans of a more elaborate and polished site towards the beginning of the year.
      So hang in there for the duration, and don't forget to comment on the reviews if you feel compelled to do so. I do try to reply to the comments as soon as I can.
      With this post I am going to break down how I grade the beer I review. I am also going to give some stats on the reviews so far.


      I break down the review this way:

Sight - 15 points

How does it pour?
Color of body.
Head size, retentention and color.
Overall feel for the attractiveness of it.

Aroma - 15 points

Initial inhale strength...what pops?
Essence of the smell
Second, deep inhale...what else comes through, if anything?

Taste - 40 points

Most important part of the review.
What flavors come through?
Are the flavors comparable to the nose?
Is there a balance of the flavors?


Overall - 30 points

How does it make you feel?
Mouthfee & Aftertaste?
Would you drink it again?
Any other thoughts or comments.

Add together the points and divide by 10 to get the final score.

Stats as of now:

A. Most reviewed type of beer -  India Pale Ale 28 of 130 or 21.5%
B. Highest rated beers:
     1. Evolution Craft Brewing - Lot #3 IPA        - 9.4
     1. Abita Brewing Co. - Jackamo IPA             -  9.4
     2. The Brewers Art - Resurrection Ale          -  9.2
     2. Stone Brewing - Oaked Arrogant Bastard   - 9.2
     3. Lagunitas Brewing Co. - Hop Stoopid Ale  - 9.1
C. Lowest rated beer:
     130. Starr Hill Brewery - Dark Star Stout          - 5.0
     129. RJ Rockers - Son Of A Peach Hefeweizen - 5.7

Thanks and Happy Drinking

No comments:

Post a Comment