Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Magic Hat Brewing Co. - HI.P.A. Pale Ale Review

Brewery: Magic Hat Brewery

Type: India Pale Ale

ABV: 6.7%

Sight: It pours a dull cloudy golden-yellow with clearing towards the bottom of the glass. A decent bright-white head almost fills the top of the pint glass, but fizzes out quickly, leaving a spotty-film on the surface.


Aroma: Very friendly nose, that is strong but not too overwhelming. Citrus of orange fronts everything with a very light malt sweetness that blends well and keeps the flow from front to end balanced.

Taste: Nose and tongue don't quit match. It has a more floral taste than the citrus, not bad though. The initial sip brings a very good dryness that leads to the florally/slightly citrus sweetness that is cradled in a very light malt body. It flows very well from front to back...dry hangs throughout, and finishes with a little warmth of alcohol and a mild sour aftertaste.

Overall: Not bad. Not great. I was a little skeptical of getting this when I saw it on the singles shelf due to the recent takeover by North American Breweries. I became a little dis-enhearted with a good Craft Brewery being taken over by a Macro entity. I thought though, nothing has really changed but who gets the $2.00 I spent on this single, so i grabbed it. Glad I did...I love hops and this seemed like it would be right up my alley. A light to medium mouthfeel that keeps more of the dryness of hops active than the bitterness. I still might by one if I'd see it again.

Score: 7.8/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment