Friday, August 20, 2010

Schlafly Brewery - Pumpkin Ale Review

Schlafly Beers

Type: Special Release Pumpkin Ale

ABV: 8%

Sight: Very deep amber red with a lighter orange hue at the base. It is a very beautiful shade of brown. The head pours roughly an inch thick with an off-white color. It dissloves to a thin film on the surface.


Aroma: Nutmeg and a little of the namesake Pumpkin pop at first then I get a light tingle from alcohol along with a deep malt base.

Taste: The top flavors are of clove, nutmeg and alcohol...The pumpkin comes in mellow at first then finishes strong with a nice malty backbone to bring things full-circle. The cinnamon is lax to me I really get more nutmeg and clove spice.

Overall: Someone on Twitter asked today if it was too early to be having Pumkin brews...because of the heat of summer still in full swing. I said it is never too early for pumpkin anything. I love pumpkin and could have it all year round...It  has a medium mouthfeel that leaves a little tingle of spice and alcohol at it's finish. Schlafly, being the first pumpkin beer for me of the season, has brought me back to fond memories of decorating the yard to scare the neighborhood kids, going to the local pumkin patches to do hay rides and such with my boys, and my favorite...horror movies. Thanks for refreshing my memories.

Score: 8.0/10

2 comments:

  1. Excellent call! Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is my all time favorite pumpkin. If you have the self control, try aging it for a year. The spices change over time, but more than a year has a sharp drop.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do that...thanks for the tip. I had a year old Dogfish Head "Pumpkin" and it lost almost all of it's spice...It was mostly malt and a bland pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete