Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Baltimore Beer Week 2010 Sunday(Day 4) & Monday(Day 5) Review

Continuing on my crusade through the Baltimore Beer Week 2010 events, on Sunday I woke knowing that the Ravens were playing Denver, and I was gonna plant myself in front of my TV and relax a little. I also had a few tasks to accomplish for the day.

First was the Stillwater Artisanal Ales Special Release Brew that had a very limited number of bottles made. It was at Max's Taphouse at 10:00am which coincided with the date 10.10.10. I got to Fells Point at about a quarter til 10 and there was a line already waiting of about 20 people. I got in line and waited til they opened the door...the only thing is, the way we were waiting(from the corner-front door extending north on Broadway) was incorrect. They opened the door near the old Club 723 entrance...so the people who had been waiting for a while were now doing an about-face and were at the end of the line. Funny to the newly arrived and angering to the ones who'd been there a while. Nevertheless, we got in(me 6-7 in the door), paid our monies and had a chance to talk to Brian Strumke, the creator of the fine ales. Fairly docile, in and out...I picked up the Rare-Beer 101 Series "Requisite" an Imperialistic Stout(numbered 70 of the 101 made). Rumour has it that some of the beer got wasted accidentally during packaging, so only 60 total made it out alive. I also got the Autumnal, a German/Belgium intermingled farmhouse ale. I am torn between opening the Requisite to try it, or not opening it because of its rareness...only time will tell.

After the purchases I went home to settle in to watch the Ravens and enjoy some relaxation on the couch.

Later, after the Ravens pummeled the Bronco's, I got ready to head down to Fells Point once more for the Urban Pyrates Heavy Seas Brewing Cruise the Inner Harbor. My father and I got down there just before 6pm and there were a few people waiting...The ship "Fearless" was a little late in it's arrival, but all was well because I got to chat with @Phil_From_Md., maker of Hoplates(chocolate infused with Hops) and Beer In Baltimore about beer and things from this week. Once the Ship arrived we borded, put on our Pyrate garb, and finally got to drinking. Heavy Seas beer on the ship were Loose Cannon, Small Craft Warning, Marzen, and Pale Ale. Dad went first and regularly to Marzen, and I went with Loose Cannon most of the night. We did get some extra samples of DIPA and Great'er Pumpkin from our wench. Chris Farley, brewery manager and a cool cast of Pyrates were there to make the cruise around the harbor a very entertaining and enjoyable experience...we shot water cannons towards tourists at Harborplace, yelled "Aargh" at other people on boats, did the Limbo and ran a conga-line. Completely worth the time and would recommend Urban Pirates to anybody planning an event.



On Monday, I originally was gonna take the day off, but two things prevented me from doing so...but when i tweeted that i was in fact staying in, @Plank10 called me a "slacker". I also got wind of a very big deal going on over at Alonso's Restaurant, so adding them together and Alonso's being very close, I went.

Boy was I glad i did...Flying Dog's Matt Crow was in the house, along with the owner Steve. The "Big Deal" was that local radio station 98 Rock was there doing the Monday night Ravens Playlist or tonight they called it "Bitch-Session" in honor of Flying Dog...This time the Ravens that were there to play whatever they wanted were Jarret Johnson, Todd Heap and the Big Deal - Joe Flacco. As I understand it Joe Flacco doesn't do many of the publicity events, so this was a big deal for the fans.



Ravens being there was great, and it added to the great bar I was at, along with the brews available. I started with a Doggie Style Pale Ale from the firkin, which is a classic. Second I had a Ragin' Bitch...A mellow but still aggressive IPA, great bitterness with a sweet malt body. Finally, while talking to @Scott_Cover, we talked about something we heard of, Half Ragin' Bitch and Half Dogtoberfest...making a Bitch-Fest...so I got one. It wasn't bad, so I finished that and rolled out.



All said, another couple of good nights out and about during the Baltimore Beer Week 2010...Six more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment