Friday, October 15, 2010

Baltimore Beer Week 2010 Tuesday(Day 6) & Thursday(Day 8) Review

Making the turn and going down the backstretch of Baltimore Beer Week 2010, i continued my tour of the events in town, by stopping by Ryleighs Oyster Bar & Restaurant for the Leinenkugels Platetoberfest event(small plates and a Leinenkugels beer, keep the pint glass)...They tapped the brand new Oktoberfest seasonal from the Wisconsin brewery. I had one and it was pretty good, malty sweet that hangs nicely til a light bitter finishes it off. All in all it was an ok first stop on the way to Little Havana for the B.A.R.C.S. animal shelter Home Brew Competition.

Once at Little Havana, I paid the $3.00 fee for the unlimited sipping cup of the brews and started-a-tasting...I wish i had brought my notepad to keep a better track of what i drank and which ones I like to make a better vote than i did.


There were about 20 or so different beers that ranged from an IPA to Stouts to a basic Red ale. The beers weren't to bad, better that what I have tried on my own so far. I voted for the Breakfast in America, and Pantyhose brews...I wish I could remember exactly what they were in more detail, but i do remember i did go and get a second sample from both.







Lastly that night I headed down to Alewife to have a little food and to get a glass of the Crispin Artisanal Ciders firkin of aged in White Zin Barrels Cider called "Porthos". They also tapped a fresh-hopped firkin of Victory Beer - Hop Devil.

I ordered the cider along with an order of Duck-fat fries and the Cubano sandwich. The cider was great. I had it at home once and enjoyed it, but the wine barrel aging adds an even more elaborate palate to give your taste buds a workout. I could go on and on about the Cubano...Pork loin, Virginia Ham, Swiss cheese and a Re-diculously good mojo dressing...all the ingredients meld perfectly and the roll was toasted just right to seal in the flavors. The little spinach salad that was a side to the sandwich was basic in presentation but the Warm Bacon dressing was awesome...i could have eaten a whole salad of just the spinach and dressing been happy also.

On Wednesday, I decided to take the day off to recoup and get ready for the rest of the week ahead.



So, Thursday comes and I already knew where I was gonna be before the week started...Alewife...This night was on the radar because Craft Beer Icon Sam Calagione of  DogFish Head was going to make an appearance. I got there about an hour before Sam was supposed to be there, found a spot at the Bar(completely surprised), and ordered the Victory - Hop Devil in the Firkin left over from last night. The Dogfish Head beers along with six specialty brews from Boulder Brewing co. weren't available til 7pm, so i hung out an talked to a friend(Scott) while waiting.

When the man of the evening arrived he was followed in with an entourage like a rock star. He came up to the bar ordered some beers for his friends and started mingling with the guests. I didn't waste time getting over to him.



I asked him to sign a bottle of 120 minute IPA, along with getting a picture with him. I also asked him if he was going to the Beer Bloggers Conference, he quickly told me that he was staying at home to watch the kids while his wife would be there. After the quick convo I let him get back to mingling with the others there. I stayed for one pour from the DFH taps...Palo Santo, had it many times before and love it.

Headed to Metropolitan Coffeehouse and Wine Bar in Federal Hill to meet up with Tom from Evolution craft Brewing but he must have moved on to his next destination. Hopefully I meet up with him before the end of Baltimore Beer Week.

Well, 3 more days ahead of us, maybe I'll meet up with some of you either at Pratt Street Ale House for the Real Cask Ales festival on Saturday or the Inauguaral Baltimore Beer Festival at the waterfront in Canton, on Sunday... I will be out and about tonight also just don't know where I'm heading yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment